Did you know that Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) has its own ICON Hackathon Series?
ICON Hackathon Series
ICON Hackathon Series started in mid 2017 as an internal hackathon event for TNB staff. Now TNB has opened up the opportunity for other companies to participate under ICON Hackathon Series.
The objective of ICON Hackathon Series is to instill the innovation spirit among TNB staff, develop an innovative culture, discover potential new technology for TNBâ€™s application, and identify possible new invention for incubation programs.
There were two ICON hackathon events which took place towards the end of 2017; one was for IoT technology with theme â€œEnhancing Employees Productivity Through IoTâ€, and the other one was Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence with theme â€œEnhance TNB Support Service Through Chatbotâ€.
What is Blockchain?
More details regarding Blockchain can be viewed online via the following links:
Thanks to the famous Bitcoin, you probably have heard about Blockchain, the underlying technology of Bitcoin.
A blockchain is a decentralized, distributed and incorruptible digital ledger that is used to record transactions across many computers.
Here are 5 basic principles of the blockchain technology (source):
- Distributed database. Each party on a blockchain has access to the whole database and its complete history. No single party regulates the data or the information. Every party can validate the records of its transaction partners directly.
- Peer-to-peer transmission. Communication occurs straightforwardly between peers. No central node.
- Transparency with pseudonymity. Every transaction and its respective value are visible to anyone with an access to the system. Users can choose to remain anonymous or provide proof of their identity to others. Transactions occur between blockchain addresses.
- Irreversibility of records. Once a transaction is recorded then it cannot be changed, because it is linked to every transaction record that came before it (â€œchainâ€).
- Computational logic. The digital ledger means that blockchain transaction can be tied to computational logic and in essence programmed. Users can set up algorithms and rules that automatically trigger transactions between the nodes.
TNB Blockchain Hackathon (Pitching Day)
This year (2018) is their first ever blockchain hackathon with the theme â€œTokenization of Employee Reward Systemâ€ with the objective to explore and apply staff reward system tokens through blockchain technology in TNB.
The blockchain hackathon registration ended on 16th March 2018. The participants joined the briefing day (19th March) where started hacking their project, and prepared for the pitching day (26th March) at Might, Cyberjaya.
I was honored to be invited to the TNB Blockchain Hackathon pitching day for the team presentations:
Team: 404 Not Found, Universiti Tenaga Nasional
The project name is â€œLightSOS â€” Employee Reward Systemâ€. The idea is to encourage employees to help each other, and receive rewards. It uses a token system where every employee gets SOS tokens to seek help, and receive Light tokens to help other employees.
Team: Blockchainers, Blockchain Technology (M) Sdn Bhd
Their project is an Ethereum (ETH) based employee reward system. It is a rather complete system, in my opinion. The online dashboard allows you to send rewards with messages to other employees via Ethereum public blockchain. You can check the transaction list, as well as shop on the TNB market place using your received coins. They even shared their project code on Github!
Team: Midori, Chaintope Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Their project is about green energy referral and reward system. They applied Decentralised Application (DApp) for Net Energy Metering (NEM) â€” a billing system that credits small customers at the full retail electric price for any excess electricity they generate, and sell to their local electric company.
The DApp records reward in smart contract in the blockchain, then the token can be used at the TNB marketplace. No server, fully decentralized.
Team: EPC Blockchain, EPC Blockchain Sdn Bhd
EPC Blockchain creates a competition between TNB buildings to reduce energy use. It keeps track of energy saving and CO2 emissions using NEM blockchain. The savings are automatically calculated and converted to coins. The savings are then used to purchase gift cards.
Team: Gyantope, Chaintope Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Gyantope is a blockchain based knowledge sharing platform where employees can share their expertise with others. It is like a Facebook on blockchain â€” employees can post status, join events, share articles, join interest groups, and earn rewards for sharing.
The winners areâ€¦
At the end of the event, the TNB Blockchain Hackathon top 3 winners were announced (not in order):
- EPC Blockchain, EPC Blockchain Sdn Bhd
- Team Midori, Chaintope Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Gyantope, Chaintope Malaysia Sdn Bhd
The grand prize winner will be announced at the TNB Blockchain Conference in May 2018. First prize winner will receive RM3000, whereas two consolation prizes worth RM1000 each will be given to the other winners. All the best to the finalists!
*Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.