Google Malaysia released the latest YouTube Ads leaderboard for the first half of 2015. The list represents the top 10 video ads on Youtube with best performance, a combination of popularity and promotion.
Looking at the top 10 YouTube Ads in Malaysia (below), you will notice some trends from this half-year leaderboard.
- Seizing the moment. With Chinese New Year fall within the six-month period, no surprise that 5 out of 10 of them are related to the festival. 4 of them (Malaysia Airlinnes, Hotlink, Maxis, Tenaga National) tell great, emotional stories around the theme of family, homecoming and nostalgia.
- Longer video. 7 of the 10 ads are over 30 seconds. 3 ads past 7 minute mark and longest one is close to 12 minute. This shows that YouTube viewers will engage with longer videos from brands, as long as there is a compelling, emotional pull.
- Cinematic quality. YouTube advertisers took time and effort to record high quality ads like a short film with story. Malaysia Airlines recorded their videos in 6K ultra-high resolution!
- Malaysia Airlines — BLESSINGS, A Malaysian story – #keepflying – Chinese New Year 2015 short film (11:52)
- Hotlink — Hotlink æå–œç™¼è²¡: Grannies Sing Ohhsome Hotlink CNY Song! (2:46)
- Maxis — Maxis CNY 2015 TVC #ThisIsMyName (3:47)
- Tesco — Tesco #Ongmali 2015 CNY Commercial (0:48)
- Tenaga National — Share the Lights – Tenaga Nasional / TNB – Chinese New Year / CNY 2015 (2:00)
- Nestle Koko Krunch — Nestle Koko Krunch | Watch the Minions get up to their usual mischief! (0.20)
- Honda — 2015 All-New Honda HR-V â€“ See Amazing From Every Angle (TVC) (0.30)
- Knife — åˆ€æ ‡æ²¹æ„ŸäººçŸç‰‡ – åŠ æ²¹ | Add Oil – A short film by Knife (10.00)
- Samsung — Road To Ramlee â€“ Episode 2: Ragam Ujibakat (Audition Antics) (8.21)
- 11street — 11street: â€œWE MEET AGAINâ€ starring Lee Min Ho and Emily Chan (0.30)
These ads show the amazing creativity in the Malaysian ads industry. Digital video ads free up brands and agencies to spend more time getting creative and leaving computers to figure out the hard stuff like when and where to show an ad.