Beijing 2008 Olympics Games is over. I had a great time sitting in front TV most of the time and watching the performances of world’s greatest athletes, hadn’t you? For Malaysians, the biggest item of interest in the 2008 Olympic Games was our badminton team.
But you probably never knew the other Olympics-related matters that Malaysians are interested in. With the help of Google Insights for Search Malaysia, here is the roundup of the Malaysian Olympics-related search habits:
- The Beijing 2008 Olympics was twice as popular with Malaysians as the 2004 Athens Games.
- [Badminton] takes the lead in Malaysian searches over [gymnastics], [swimming], [diving] and even [football] largely due to the silver medal win of Lee Chong Wei in badminton singles. No surprises there!
- [Lee Chong Wei] also tops the athlete searches from the start of the Olympics and surges ahead of other famous Olympians like [Michael Phelps], [Usain Bolt], [Rafael Nadal] and [Liu Xiang].
- There was also little doubt whose side Malaysians were on during [Chong Wei]’s eventual defeat to China’s [Lin Dan] for the badminton singles final.
- Movie-loving Malaysians were also tuning-into the Olympics rather than checking out the latest movies with [Olympics] getting more hits than both [gsc] or [tgv], abbreviations for cinema chains Golden Screen Cinemas and Tanjong Golden Village, combined.
- Despite the by-election fever heating up for [Anwar Ibrahim], Malaysians were still upbeat in their search for [Olympics] news and material. The Malaysians’ search for [badminton] tipped the scale on 17 Aug. That was the day the men’s badminton singles finals between Lee Chong Wei and Li Dan was held.
- Interestingly, searches for the [Olympics opening ceremony] and [Olympics closing ceremony] follow the same trends, with the opening ceremony taking a slight lead. With last night’s fireworks-ridden closing ceremony featuring appearances by Jackie Chan and David Beckham, among others, it’s no surprise that viewers were just as excited to see it!
- It seems like most KL-ites were hot on the trail of the Olympics by topping the other States in Malaysia on online search of the [Beijing Olympics] followed closely by Selangor and Pahang.
Google Insights for Search is a new tool for advertisers, marketers, and Internet users who are interested in finding out what’s on top of Malaysians’ minds and looking to compare search patterns across specific regions, categories, and time frames.
[Hat tip: Jana Ponnudurai]