4 years 4 months 22 days after WordPress 2.0, the latest major version of WordPress blogging software has been released: WordPress 3.0 “Thelonious”. The new version included new look, new functions, thousand bug fixes and feature enhancements.
What’s new about WordPress 3.0
There are many new features and improvements about WordPress 3.0. Here I list down some notable features for a blogger like you and I:
- Custom username — now you can set your own custom username for WordPress login (increase security).
- New look — WordPress dashboard designed has a lighter interface and contextual help on every screen.
- Bulk updates — now you can do bulk updates for plugins and themes, beside automatic WordPress upgrade.
- New default theme — WordPress 3.0 is now using “Twenty-Ten” as default theme to take full advantages of current WordPress features. No more Kubrick theme.
- Custom menu — allows creation of custom menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
- Custom post type — most bloggers might not use this powerful feature. It allows you to create, well, custom post type other than normal blog posts and pages. Example: videos, item for sale, etc.
- Shortlink support — generate short link (wp.me) for posts. Could be supported by plugin or theme.
- Merge WordPress MU — merge WordPress MU into WordPress 3.0, create and manage multiple sites from one WordPress installation.
Download WordPress 3.0
You can either use the WordPress automatic upgrade feature in dashboard or manually download WordPress 3.0. Remember to always backup your files and database before update.